Sunday, August 24

NYC with a Big Apple Greeter

Saturday: My Greeter, Julie (originally from New Zealand), a woman of my age, who has been in a wheelchair for more than 30 years, gave me an overwhelming introduction to NYC, not only we went (with Access-A-Ride - the NYC Promobil for mobility impaired persons) through three boroughs (Harlem, Queens, and Brooklyn Heights) but she also went with me on the Subway from City Hall to the very South of Manhattan, and from Battery Park to Times Square and again from there to the Lincoln Center where there was an outdoor music festival, so we had a nice but short moment in the sun with live music. To the end we went to Whole Foods - Philipp, I've thought of you, that would be paradise for you - vegetarian paradise - an incredible multitude of food: vegetables, cheese, bread and much more ;-)

I really don't know how Julie could manage to do all this rolling - even with the Trac I was quite tired in the evening. And - I'm not easily scared - but she crossed the NYC streets with her wheelchair very intrepidly indeed!

Map of Harlem

Triborough Bridge

Promenade Brooklyn Heights

Brooklyn Bridge (pedestrian bridge)

Times Square

Battery Park Promenade

Lincoln Center

Whole Foods Cold Bar

That was quite a lot of impressions for only one day, and of course we didn't have much time left to see these points more in depth, I hope I'll have some more occasions to do that in the next few days. What was special: While Julie took the subway from Brooklyn Heights to City Hall, I wheeled with my Trac over the Brooklyn Bridge - very nice view indeed. As my camera (sadly) works only occasionally these days, most of the photos I put on this blog are not from my camera.

No comments: