Friday, August 15

Bits and pieces

About three weeks in the States now. Sometimes I feel as if time is already becoming scarce - I'll not be able to see everything worth of seeing it. But sometimes - as this week - I simply confide to the "stream of life", getting me here and there, without planning a lot.

So today I'll write about bits and pieces - just to allow you a glimpse of my experiences.

WEDNESDAY: The heart of the Freedom Trail with Mary - lots of history everywhere, I'll save you the details. In order to go to Park Street, we took the Green Line of the T - in the afternoon I went home by myself on the Green Line. The Green Line (part of it a real subway) is not really wheelchair friendly - it was kind of an adventure to get back - but it is accessible. Before I went home by the T (subway) relaxed stroll through the North End (and part of the Harbour) - if it was not for the Brownstones (houses), you would believe you were in Italy!! Had pasta at "Piccola Venezia". By the way: When I really don't understand a single word of what is said by an American, it is often when they use a French or Italian word - for example "gelati" ;-)




THURSDAY: Discussing the effects of the Internet with Mary - and had a lunch with Nancy and Sam (he is a College teacher for mathematics, she a former Highschool teacher for english) and Mary at Zaftig's. I really enjoyed meeting them, very nice people. Met a blind woman at the Inn, Sharon, a Brookline resident. In the evening, in my room at the Inn, looked a DVD: "To kill a mockingbird" (about racial segregation in the South at the time of the Great Depression, with Gregory Peck) - very interesting - and a really good film also!

FRIDAY (today): we'll go to the JFK museum - there have been quite a lot of thunderstorms and also some rain these days, so Mary proposed to go "indoors", in order to avoid the risk of getting too wet - sometimes we do lessons at the Sewall Inn, in my room or in the little patio, when the weather is fine, other days we make small trips around Boston and she always has a lot of interesting things to tell about these places.

No comments: