Manhattan is (also) green!
D. Gwirtzman
Well, there were quite a few other things I've seen in these days and there would have been even more, if I had had more time. As always only after a few days I knew where to find the interesting things - and than it was already time to pack (which I really hate).
What was really fantastic: on the last evening I went to a (free) dance performance at the New York City Center. Julie, my Greeter from Saturday had seen the advertisement on a newspaper and we met at 6pm. The Gwirtzman Company showed a work in progress and the choreographer explained how they usually work. Very interesting!
What was really fantastic: on the last evening I went to a (free) dance performance at the New York City Center. Julie, my Greeter from Saturday had seen the advertisement on a newspaper and we met at 6pm. The Gwirtzman Company showed a work in progress and the choreographer explained how they usually work. Very interesting!
On my last morning in NYC I went to the Riverwalk again for a farewell to the Hudson river. My last taxi ride in NYC, to the airport, went smoothly (just in order to make up for some other taxicab experiences). With the aid of Elizabeth of the guest house office we had checked and double checked that the cab would be there early enough (it was moving day for the students, so Elizabeth really had an awful lot of work on this day).
American Airlines was also a pleasant surprise, for one I could take my own wheelchair aboard (in the closet space) and the assistance at JFK was great - not too much, but just adequate (and that is not my usual experience at airports with the exception of perhaps Zuerich).
The experiences on this trip were absolutely great. For the first time in my life I've traveled as far and I've had as long a holiday. Even if it was also continuing education and acquisition of language and not only a vacation, I enjoyed my trip very much - and I would really like to visit the US again. I've had to do an awful lot of planning, but it was for sure worth it. A next time perhaps it might be a little easier. Who knows ;-)
Thanks to KME, my school, which allowed me to have a sabbatical of ten weeks. Without that, it would not have been possible for me to do this big trip.
Thanks to my TRAC, which permitted me to be very independent in the big cities. Even if the price was to support all this additional planning and expenses for the transfers.
Thank you to ALL the people who followed my travel - even if most of you didn't write comments on the blog. Your support during my planning and your mails through the voyage have been nice.
Thanks to my son Philipp, who took care of the apartment and some other things during my absence and who gave me a lot of good advices concerning the US.
And thank you especially to ALL the nice, helpful and interesting American people I've met in Philadelphia, in Boston and in NYC!
No comments:
Post a Comment