Monday, August 4

Bingo - and other occurences on the weekend


Saturday was a busy day for me. I didn't go to Valley Forge with the group - for several reasons - for one I wanted to solve some smaller problems. First of all I needed a battery for my digital camera and an adapter for my laptop; the adapter I had bought in Switzerland curiously works with nearly every electrical engine, but not with my laptop! After having settled these two problems I took a very large stroll till Penn's Landing on the Delaware and had a look at the Independence Seaport Museum (about the history of the port, the trade and the immigrants in Philadelphia) - very interesting. To get back to our accommodation I took a bus for the very first time in Philadelphia, it was a little adventure as I didn't know how the driver would react to my Swisstrac. It proved to be a good experience, as everybody seemed friendly and relaxed, even if they never had seen anything like this - and it really took me quite a bit of time to get in and out the bus with the Swisstrac AND the wheelchair. No one complained, even if the bus was a little crowded at the arrival. I would like the bus drivers and the people at home to be as friendly ;-)

Saturday evening I played Bingo (evening activity) - a premiere for me. You should know that the age range of participants of this particular summer school is between 60 and 95(!). The majority of them are residents in Florida and they come to Summer School for various reasons or with various motivations, partly to avoid the heat in Florida in July and August. Mostly they are incredibly fit and their acuteness of mind is enviable, even if some of them doze off during the lectures - but that happened to me twice (for other reasons). Anyway, we played Bingo and I won a T-shirt with the logo of Senior Summer school.

On Sunday we went to the Philadelphia museum of Art - a very large museum. We had the lady who gave us a lecture on Monday as guide and she did a good job, even if the tour was rather "short" - or on other words: we had to rush through the museum. Three of us stayed afterward one more hour to have a closer look on the Picasso's and the impressionists.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Chère Denyse,

J'ai raconté à Guido et à Rafi ce que tu viens d'écrire et en discutant, nous nous sommes posé les questions suivantes:
- De quel milieu social sont les seniors qui fréquentent cette université?
- Quelle était leur profession?
- Y a-t-il des Noirs parmi eux?
- Quesl sont les thèmes des cours et sont-ils intéressants?
- Peut-on comparer ces cours à ceux de la Volkshochschule?
D'avance merci de tes réponses et grosses bises,
RL

Anonymous said...

Chère Denyse,
ça me donne de l'espoir de rester encore en pas trop mauvais état mental, jusqu'au bout.
Gros bisous
Odette